Here’s a comprehensive guide on how you should prepare for your MBA entrance exams.
I. PI Round – Preparation Strategy
Are you anxiously waiting for your PI round? Here is a strategy which you must follow if you want to crack the interview.
1. Academic questions
In any interview this is one area from where majority of the questions come. Reason being that panel wants to know how good you are at concepts already covered at college/school level and at the same time panel expects you to have a practical bent of mind that enables you to relate the theory to applications. So, the candidate must be ready with some real life examples from workex/academics/personal life.
- Revisit your textbooks and brush up your basics
- Work extra on subjects that you like and the ones in which you have scored less
- Expect questions from subjects in which you have good grades-prepare those subjects
- Explain answers in simple and lucid style with examples
While answering questions on achievements, it is always advisable to divide your answer into three parts
- Academic achievements- Talk about top grades in any particular subject/class.
- Achievements as regards ECA-Talk about activities done during school/college/work life that highlight your leadership or organizing capabilities. Be ready with examples, what challenges you faced, how you overcame, what was the learning.
- Any other special achievement- Like working with an NGO and the kind of work you have done for them, how has that added value to you as a person.
3. Work Ex
For people with work experience expect questions from your
- Industry – The candidate must have good idea about their industry, what was the growth in the last quarter/financial year, how much does it contribute to country’s GDP, any recent developments
- Company – Complete knowledge of the business that his company is into. Candidate may get questions like who are your competitors, what is your market share, what are the strengths of your competitors, current share price of the company, turnover etc
- Job – Prepare all types of questions that anyone can ask on your role and responsibilities, any special achievement
Also there can be questions on why do you want to leave your job and do an MBA?
Or Why in the last two years you have changed two jobs and again you want to leave your job and do an MBA?
The strategy for candidate with work ex should be to keep the panel on job related questions as far as possible as the candidate will be more comfortable answering questions from this area.
4. General Awareness/Current Affairs
This area may or may not be touched upon, but if it is, the purpose is to check candidate’s understanding on the various current issues. For questions on current affairs always follow a three pronged strategy – Know what is the issue, do the analysis of the facts, various opinion’s and finally have your own logical opinion about the whole issue.
II. Academic Oriented Questions
Subject : Economics
- Explain M1, M2, M3?
- How is the rupee value calculated?
- Explain poverty line for India?
- How do banks control money supply?
- Difference between Economy and Economics?
- Explain Current account and what are invisible current accounts?
- What are the functions of RBI and SEBI?
- Difference between Monetary and Fiscal policies?
- Problems that plague Indian Economy right now(Any three)?
- Is unemployment more in India or US or Europe? Discuss with reasons.
- What is parallel economy? Any estimate? How it can be stamped out?
12. How is the interest rate determined in Free market?
13. What is Debt Trap?
14. Name five economists and which one do you like and why?
15. Discuss Mahalanobis model?
16. Discuss pareto optimality?
17. Explain elasticity of demand and marginal utility?
18. What is a perfect market? Give some examples?
19. Explain correlation, standard deviation,variance?
20. What is liquidity trap?
Subject : Computers
- What is SQL? Explain third degree normalization?
- What is difference between quick sort, leap sort and bubble sort?
- Explain Binary search algorithm?
- Explain difference between Celeron and Pentium class of processors?
- Explain different stages of SDLC?
- What is MIS how it is different from DSS?
- What is Artificial Intelligence?
- Different type of protocols for networking?
- What is data flow architecture?
- Write a program to sort ten numbers in ascending order?
Subject : Electrical and electronics
- What is the difference between 2G and 3G?
- Explain GPRS
- Explain CDMA
- What is zero earthing?
- What are eddy currents?
- Define Kirchoff’s Law?
- Any applications of electronics in agriculture?
- Explain first law of thermodynamics?
- How does a fan work?
- What does a modem do and how?
Subject : Physics
- Why does a diamond shine?
- Define critical angle?
- What is entropy?
- Explain working of a nuclear reactor?
- Explain working of a dynamo?
- Is Physics management? How?
- Explain Raman Effect?
- Name an Indian who won Nobel Prize in Physics and explain his work?
- Explain Newton’s third/first/second/ law or law of gravitation?
- What is fibre optics?
Subject : Zoology
- Explain what is the role mitochondrion?
- Different type of Blood groups?
- Difference between plant and animal cell?
- Explain chordates?
- What are endocrine glands?
- What is bone density, how it is measured?
- What is the role of grey matter in our brains?
- How do you define a mammal?
- What is Rh factor?
- What do you understand by the word hermaphrodite?
- Where is the pharmacy industry headed for in India?