In most of the B-Schools, Personal Interview (PI) is the final stage of the selection procedure. PI not only judges the personality traits of aspirants but also helps in knowing them well. On one hand, a Group Discussion (GD) helps in knowing the leadership skills of the candidate and on the other hand, in a PI, it is assessed that how an individual reacts to a certain level of stress.
A PI gives you a chance to express yourself fully unlike that in a written exam or group discussion. It is advisable to approach the interview as a conversation to be enjoyed rather than making it a dull question and answer round (however, remain disciplined). An interviewer can ask any questions related to – your autobiography, hobbies, academic achievements, etc.
Besides the above, normal etiquette like dress, punctuality and an individual’s patience level are other factors that can make or break your chances to bag a seat in one of the prestigious colleges.
Wondering how to crack the Personal Interview?
There are few simple yet useful tricks that can be taken into consideration while going for a PI:
1) Confident Approach: It is always better to reflect confidence while answering questions in an interview. As a matter of fact, interviewers tend to cross-question just to make you feel uneasy and to test your patience. Be careful not to offend the interviewer.
2) Politeness: Being polite during the interview gives a good impression of yours in the eyes of the interviewer. Always make it a point to let the interviewer complete his views first before you give yours. If you find the interviewer wrong at some point of time with his facts or figures, do try to convince him with the right information but with politeness.
3) Do not deviate from the topic: Very often, it is being observed that students tend to give vague or irrelevant information just in order to stretch at some topic or because of unawareness about a topic. It is always advisable to stick to the topic rather than speaking stuff which the interviewer might not be interested in listening even.
4) Important Questions: You should be well versed with the basic important questions such as “why this course”, “where do you see yourself 5 years down the line”, and many more such questions. The interviewers would always like to grill a candidate more on his academic knowledge, work experience and hobbies or interests.
5) Be honest: If you don’t know the answer of any particular question, just be loyal and say that you don’t know rather than beating around the bush. One needs to understand that there is no right or wrong in any interview, it all depends on how you convince the interviewer with your response. Just be confident of what you speak and how you form your opinion about any particular question being asked.
The Personal Interview is indeed the last and the final chance to make it to the desired college. This is the only parameter which will decide your chance of selection (after written exam and GD). This could be either a one-to-one interview or a panel sitting together to take only your interview.
Most of the interviewers start the session with a definite set of questions, as mentioned below:
(1) Tell us something about yourself
(2) Where do you see yourself 5 or 10 years down the line
(3) Why this course? How will it help
(4) What are your strengths and weaknesses
(5) Some questions based on your academics
(6) Why you want to join this college
(7) What are your hobbies
(8) If someone has a previous work experience, then, questions such as how long have you been working, put some light on your profession, how has your profession helped you, why you want to pursue studies after having a good work experience, etc.
Well, it is always advisable to practice atleast the basic questions before appearing for the interview. If you are still not confident about how to prepare for an interview to make it to a prestigious college, you need not to worry!
SmartPrep helps you to prepare for Group Discussions and Personal Interviews. We start conducting ample of mock interviews as soon as the students are done with their written exam coaching with us to prepare them to handle the stress and anxiety that many of them feel in front of the interviewers.
What are you waiting for?
Enroll with us now to start the preparations early!
All the Best!