List of Career Options Available
From simple banking products like savings accounts, credit cards and loans, banks have diversified into new products and services like wealth management, life and general insurance, investment banking, mutual funds, pension fund regulation, stock broking services, custodian services, private equity, etc.
There are three main career possibilities:
- Banking Sector has options like RBI, commercial banks, SBI and its subsidies of 20 nationalised banks. All the recruitment and selection process for 20 Nationalised banks is taken care by Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS).
- Government Undertakings like FCI, Airport Authorities, postal, telecom, gov financing institutions, etc.
- Regional and Rural banks. Recruitment and selection process for these is taken care by Staff Selection Commission (SSC)
Common Written Examination (CWE) is conducted by IBPS as a pre-requisite for selection of personnel for Probationary Officer posts in the public sector banks.
IBPS Bank PO
- Indian Nationality
- Graduate from a recognized Indian university
- Above 21 years and less than 30 years of age
Test Area: The entrance test is designed to assess the student’s knowledge about the banking world and their basic managerial skills. The student must pass two stages for the final selection. They are:
Stage 1 : Written Test
- English Language
- Quantitative Aptitude
- General Awareness (with Special Reference to Banking Industry)
- Computer Knowledge
- Descriptive Paper on English Composition (Essay, Precis, Letter Writing etc.)
Penalty for wrong answers: There is negative marking -0.25 for each wrong answer. If a question is left blank, i.e. no answer is given by the candidate; there will be no penalty for that question.
Stage 2 : Group Discussion & Personal Interview
- IBPS conducts its exam after every three months whether it is for Bank PO or Clerk
- IBPS score is accepted by only 20 Nationalized banks and not by SBI and its subsidiaries
- Scorecard validity is for one year